How Dovetail Joint Co Can Help Get Your Project Started
Bringing Dovetail Joint Construction to the table at the conceptual stage will save you a lot of money over the course of your project. We will talk to you about your goals and how much they cost BEFORE you bring the architect into the team.
1. The first step in your project is developing a budget. In our experience, establishing the budget is the most difficult step. Why? Because it is the rare homeowner who is also a professional construction estimator.
For example, perhaps you want to remodel your kitchen with new granite countertops, new custom cabinets, and a new hardwood floor.
- What is your budget for this project?
- Which building code is applicable and how much will complying with code cost?
- Will you come in contact with asbestos or lead during the demo of the old kitchen.
- Do I need a permit? (FYI, this answer to that one is always yes unless all you are doing is painting).
So, how do you know how much project you can get for your available budget?
Unfortunately, available budget is not the same as total budget. For example, if you’ve saved up $25,000 for your kitchen remodel, your budget is not $25,000 it is significantly less than that.
Architects cost around 4% of your total project budget, project managers cost another 4% and you need to set aside at least 10% for contingency (and you never let the architect or the contractor know you have a contingency). So if you hire an architect and manage the project yourself (usually a bad idea), your budget is $22,000. If you hire a Dovetail to be your project manager, your budget is $21,000.
The next step is selecting and architect.
The Design Phase of Your Project
The basic rule of thumb is if your project costs more than 5% of the value of your house, or if you are making structural changes to the interior or exterior of your home, or if you a making significant changes to the floor plan of your home, you need an architect for your project.
This is the part of the project where Dovetail Joint Construction’s design build approach will add significant value and save you a lot of money over the life of your project. We work with Denver architects on almost every job and we have long term relationships with..[read more]